I just wanted to take a minute to share with everyone some great events you can attend or participate in as a student while attending the National ASLA Conference this week in San Diego. Please check out the list and get involved with as many as you have time for! It's great to meet other students and Emerging Professionals, as well as leverage our great network of UCLA grads.
Have a great time!
Your 2011-2012 ASLA Student Chapter President
Wednesday, October 26, 2011
Thursday, October 13, 2011
Join us for a one day seminar on California Oaks: Planting & Protecting Our Urban Forests.
This seminar will focus on the increasing presence and role of native oak trees in urban landscapes. California oaks are a keystone species in sustainable urban landscapes. They provide many valuable services and multiple benefits that require basic knowledge and skill.
Southern California oak experts will present cutting edge information and lead engaging field activities focused on design and care strategies for successfully managing oaks in urban landscapes.
November 17, 2011
8:00 AM - 4:30 PM
1418 Descanso Drive
La Cañada Flintridge, California 91011
- Genetic Distribution: Concerns & Threats
- LA County Oak Management Plan
- Oak Identification & Selection Considerations
- Assessing Health & Disorders
- Construction Protection: Lessons Learned
- Oaks & Wildlife Habitat
- Landscape Architects and Design Professionals
- Tree Care and Landscape Maintenance Providers
- Planning, Parks and Public Works Staff
- Arborists/ Foresters
- Nursery, Horticulture and Other Related Professionals
- Bart O'Brien of Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden, Director of Special Projects, Author
- Rosi Dagit of RCD Santa Monica Mountains, Certified Arborist and Senior Conservation Biologist
- Tom Scott of UC Berkeley Cooperative Extension, Cooperative Extension Specialist
- Jan C. Scow of Jan C. Scow Consulting Arborists, LLC., Registered Consulting Arborist
Saturday, October 1, 2011
On September 9 the UCLA Ext. Student Chapter of the ASLA hosted an afternoon tour of innovative garden projects in La Canada. Cassy Aoyagi of FormLA and Brian Sullivan of Descanso Gardens led attendees through two of their recent landscape designs, discussing the history and design strategy of these projects. Sites visited were the drought tolerant garden at the La Canada Library and the vertical and roof gardens at the Sturt Haaga Galleries at the Descanso Gardens.
Please click on the following link to view photos from that day: